Different Osteoarthritis treatment: Which one for you?
Which osteoarthritis treatment to go for?
Well let us see different treatment options a patient with arthritis knee pain is having.
Depending on severity of arthritic knee pain and on which treatment level you are at any or all of different treatment options you can try out.
For the sake of my readers I would think you as a person with acute knee pain and give you different options.
But if you have tried all those options click on the section which you have not tried to understand more about it.
Osteoarthritis treatment can be divided into 2 types depending on severity of symptoms.
- Acute osteoarthritis symptoms
- Chronic osteoarthritis symptoms
What is acute arthritis knee pain?
Well acute osteoarthritis of the knee is a condition where in symptoms appear suddenly and last for few weeks to few months. These symptoms does not last longer than 6 months.
Pain is sharp and along with pain there are other signs of inflammation too like:
Just as a general criteria for you to understand if you have arthritis in the knee for less than 6 months then it is acute arthritis.
Osteoarthritis treatment: Acute stages
Following different treatment options you can try out in acute stage:
- Lifestyle modifications: Modifying your lifestyle helps to a great extent no matter how severe your arthritis knee pain is. It includes conscious efforts for weightloss and other activity modifications. For more info please click here.
- Pain Medications: Knee pain medications help you relieve those acute or chronic pain associated with your knee osteoarthritis symptoms. They belong to NSAID- non steroidal anti inflammmatory drugs family. For more info please click here.
- Nutritional Supplements: I strongly recommend trying glucosamine supplements for knee arthritis. They have a cartilage regeneration and anti inflammatory properties and has been approved by many research studies. For more info please click here.
- Exercises: Exercises to strengthen your muscles and also to maintain active range of motion at knee joint is very important. What you have to understand is active lifestyle is pretty important not only for your knee joint but also for your overall health. For more info please click here.
- Knee Brace: I am a very big fan of knee braces. Especially when you understand the principle behind mode of action of knee brace then you can understand. I would say it does not only relieve pain but also halts knee arthritis progress. For more info please click here.
Chronic stage of knee arthritis occurs if you have knee pain for more than 6 months of duration and you have tried different osteoarthritis treatment and nothing has worked out for you.
At chronic stage your joint would have :
- Deformity (longer the duration more deformed)
- dull constant pain
- cartilage is damaged and eroded
Osteoarthritis treatment: Chronic stages
As such at this stage you would have tried all those conservative treatments mentioned above.
Following different treatment options you can try out in chronic stage:
- Knee Injections: At this stage you might go for knee injections which can give you temporary to long lasting effects depending on the injections you have taken. Those injections could be of steroids or hyaluronidase. What you have to understand is you can not take knee injections quite often and doctor would decide if it is right for you or not.
- Knee arthroscopy: Knee arthroscopy can be used here as a surgical as well as for diagnostic purpose. If after trying conservative treatment nothing has improved in your arthritic knee pain then doctor could use scope to make sure there is no other knee injuries. For more info please click here.
- Knee Osteotomy: Knee osteotomy is a technique which has been used in treatment of chronic knee arthritis pain for many years. In this treatment option your deformed knee is realigned by cutting the arthritic knee bone and thus relieving the friction producing knee pain. For more info please click here.
- Cartilage Replacement: A new technique. Costly treatment option with limited client base. Please talk to your doctor thoroughly if you have been advised this option. For more info please click here.
- Knee Replacement: If all of this treatment options does not do any better to you you might have to go for knee replacement surgery. I would say it is the most result oriented treatment options especially in chronic stage. For more info please click here.
If you want to have a look at osteoarthritis symptoms to see which all symptoms you are having please click here.
Depending on your doctor and your pain level at any stage you could be combining any of above mentioned osteoarthritis treatment for your arthritic knee pain.
Go back to knee arthritis from here.
Go back to knee replacement from osteoarthritis treatment.
Please if you have a real life experience or you liked what I have shared with you here please comment in comment section so that other people who read this can get benefited.